Who are Resolution?

Resolution’s 5500 members are family lawyers in England and Wales who are committed to resolving divorce and separation disputes constructively. Resolution members encourage sensitive, cost-effective solutions that consider the needs of the whole family - and in particular the best interests of the children.

What is Resolution’s code of practice?

Resolution’s members follow a code of practice that promotes a non-confrontational approach to family problems. The code of practice is the cornerstone of Resolution, promoting an approach to family law that is sensitive, constructive, cost-effective and most likely to result in an agreement.

  • All members must agree to follow the code
  • The code is now incorporated into the Law Society’s Family Law Protocol, a guide to good practice for all family solicitors.

Find a Resolution member near you

Who are Resolution’s members?

Members of Resolution include solicitors and other legal staff in family law firms. They all have specialist training in working with separating couples and children. A number of Resolution members also have specialist accreditation in different areas of family law, like financial arrangements for children and international cases.

Solving family problems together

Resolution are committed to developing and promoting best standards in family law, giving couples alternatives to going to court, such as mediation and collaborative law.

Members of Resolution favour solutions that take into account the needs of the whole family and the best interests of any children.

Find a Resolution member near you

How can Resolution help me?

If you can reach an informal agreement about Child Maintenance between yourselves or you’re using the Child Maintenance Service, then you won’t need to use a lawyer. But even then, you may want to have a chat with a lawyer just to make sure you’re not missing something.

There are also a number of circumstances which fall outside the Child Maintenance service, where it’s a good idea to get legal advice:

  1. If the Child Maintenance Service can’t help
  2. Other services

If the Child Maintenance Service can’t help

There are some cases where the Child Maintenance Service does not have the power to be involved and where you would apply to the Court for an order. For example if the paying parent lives overseas, or if they have a very high income (the Child Maintenance Service doesn’t take into account income over £3000 per week). Similarly if money is needed for school fees or to meet the costs of a child’s disability, the Court would deal with this rather than the Child Maintenance Service

If your circumstances involve any of these issues then a lawyer may be able to help.

Enforceable family-based arrangement

While family-based arrangement are generally not usually binding, lawyers can help make a family-based arrangement more enforceable in two ways:

  • If you and the other parent would like to make a family-based arrangement that would be legally binding (and could be enforced in the small claims court) it‘s a good idea to talk it through with a lawyer first.
  • If you and the other parent have made a family-based arrangement about child maintenance, but are in court to sort out other financial matters, (such as pensions and housing), you could ask the Court to include your child maintenance agreement as part of the final court order. This then gives you the option to ask the Court to enforce the agreement if necessary if it breaks down.

Parenting after parting

Each year an estimated 240,000 children in the UK experience the separation of their parents. Overall, more than one in three will see their parents split up before they reach their 16th birthday.

If you’re unsure how to tell your children about your separation or divorce, or need advice and tips on how to establish a new a parenting relationship with your previous partner, you can find help and information in Resolution’s parent advice centre.

Useful information

This page has been provided by Resolution whose members are not the only legal services companies available to parents. They do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Child Maintenance Options.

Resolution members will charge you for their services.