Citizens Advice

Child Maintenance Options has been working closely with a variety of organisations who can help parents through a variety of issues and concerns, including the Citizens Advice Bureau. They have supplied the following information, showing some of the tools and services that they have to offer.

Who are Citizens Advice?

Citizens Advice is a national service which helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice. It has been helping people just like you since 1939.

The service we provide is intended to ensure that people have the correct advice on their rights and responsibilities.

How can Citizens Advice help me?

Citizens Advice provides information in a wide range of areas and has many factsheets to help you resolve your problems. In addition, we also have a range of FAQ’s (Frequently Answered Questions), so it might be that we have an answer already prepared for you. Just go to which includes information on:

Your Money

Advice is available on:

Your Family

Advice is available on:

In addition to the above, our website has advice on other areas where you might experience problems including gas and electricity, consumer affairs (including your rights when buying goods and services) as well as some advice on resolving your legal problems.

Remember that whatever problem you have:

  • You are not alone and the longer you try to resolve it on your own, the worse it can sometimes become
  • The Citizens Advice service is here to help. We do not judge and our help and advice is completely impartial

How can I contact Citizens Advice?

You can contact Citizens Advice in a number of different ways. A vast library of information is available on our website so this might be the best place for you to start resolving your issues but you can use whichever option is best for you.

Our Citizens Advice self-help website has practical, reliable information to help you solve your problems.
We have separate sections for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland where the law is sometimes different.

By Phone
To receive advice over the phone we have different numbers dependent upon where you live.

  • Wales – call 0844 477 2020†
  • England – call 0844 411 1444†
    (The national phone service for England is in the process of being rolled out area by area. If your area is not yet covered you will hear options for recorded information.)

(Text Relay users should call 0844 411 1445)

†Calls to our national phone service (0844 numbers) will be charged at five pence per minute from a landline and may cost considerably more from mobile and other phones.

Citizen Advice Bureaux
Citizens Advice Bureaux give advice from over 3500 locations. Advice can be available via face-to-face meetings (sometimes even via a home visit), local phone services and in some cases email.

To find your nearest bureau all you’ll need is your postcode.

This page has been provided by Citizens Advice and do not represent the views or opinions of Child Maintenance Options.